Hurford Salvi Carr Checklist for:
- How does the heating/air-conditioning work;
- How do windows open? Inwards/outwards? How will this affect choice of blinds or curtains;
- How many sets of keys and fobs will I get? Aim for at least 3 full sets plus post box, windows and meter cupboards;
- Make sure all the electrical appliances work; turn them on and off;
- Will you need induction pans for the hob?
- Where is the stopcock?
- Open all doors. Check they are well fitted and do not hit any walls or scratch the floor.
- Are all cupboards and wardrobes fitted correctly? Do the doors open and close without a problem;
- Rubbish – how is it collected and when;
- Is there parking? How is it accessed?
- How will you receive the warranties and certificates for the apartment?
- Note down important phone numbers and contacts such as the block managers, contractors and service personnel.
- Will the lift have curtains for furniture deliveries;
- Does the lift have to booked through the block managers for deliveries and moving in?
- Arrange for a working phone line to be installed as soon as possible;
- Where are the meter cupboards? Take readings;
- Try out every single appliance. Don’t just read the manuals or leave them for the tenant, ask for a lesson;
- Burn the oven at the highest setting for at least 30 minutes before using;
- Set the thermostats for boilers, under floor heaters and climate control at their optimal level;
- What do the block managers require to sublet?
- Fill out all warranties with serial numbers and send away;
- If you are going to let out the apartment make sure you have the Gas safety certificate;
- Is the new address registered with Royal Mail? If not, see if the neighbour can help and ask to borrow their address temporarily to arrange deliveries;
- Redirect any mail addressed to you for the first 3 months until the flat is let. Never rely on the new tenant to pass it on.
Associate Director at Hurford Salvi Carr
Angela started her career in central London Lettings in 2000 after graduating in Economics from Exeter University. She has a Diploma in Residential Lettings and Management and is a Fellow of ARLA. As Manager of the City office since 2010, she has both the experience and qualifications to best advise our clients with her pro-active and candid approach. Angela was born and grew up in London.
Telephone: 020 7490 1122
Telephone: 020 7490 1122
Latest posts by Angela Kelly (see all)
- Pietra Lara, sunshine and fresh air, EC1 - April 12, 2019
- Superb and Very Unique Duplex One Bedroom Apartment, Hardwick Street, EC1 - March 22, 2019